Monday, June 8, 2009

Seven down!

I finished my seventh 5K on Saturday. I can't believe I've done seven since March. Seven! I remember when Audrey first suggested we run a 5K to prepare for the tri; I think I simultaneously wanted to laugh, throw up and cry. To be honest, there's still a point during almost every race where I want to throw up and cry. But since the first one I've been doing them of my own free will. And liking it! Who would have thought?

And I'm glad I like it, because I know it's really helped me lose weight and prepare for the triathlon. And those are two things that have really shaped nearly everything I've done and every decision I've made since January. My focus is so much on the end goal that I don't really take the time to stop and look around to really see where I am, which is 25 pounds lighter and maybe a little bit of an athlete. Actually, scratch that, maybe I'm just a little bit of a runner, not an athlete. As my brother was quick to point out this weekend, I still cannot throw a baseball worth a damn (once, about 5 feet to the right of my dad and the next time, almost directly down to the
ground. I do not know what is wrong with me). I cannot wait to celebrate everything I've achieved, but aside from a mini-shopping spree with my mom once my clothes became too big to to wear, I'm not willing to celebrate yet. As I've mentioned, I'm afraid of losing my focus or getting too proud of what I've accomplished and having that turn into a little bit of laziness. I have, as of this moment, 47 days, 18 hours, 2 minutes and 51 seconds of hard work ahead of me, and I'm not going to truly relax until the triathlon is over.

But you better believe there will be a killer celebration once it is.

4 comments:

  1. And you will have earned the celebration, Girlie!! Good work! Seven 5K races in less than four months?! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7 5ks in such a short time. Luckily 5k races only hurt every time you run one. Congrats on the race

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - came across your blog and read a fair section of it! You sound like you're rely making good progrss so well done. I'll add your page to my blogroll and check back with you every now and then. Keep it up!

    Sai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stumbled across your blog. I was going to do a tri this year, but it was full. It was an IronGirl tri. I cannot wait to hear how yours turns out! Thanks for sharing your journey so far. Can't wait to hear the race day report!

    ReplyDelete